On October 20th, 2019, the North American Council of Teen SOYO sponsors the 39th Annual Special Olympics Awareness Day. Every August, Teen SOYO hosts and funds an annual week‐long camp for Special Olympics Athletes at the Antiochian Village. Over the past 38 years, Teen SOYO has fostered a camping experience like no other. Our camp demonstrates a unified environment where teen SOYO members from across the Archdiocese come together with coaches from Special Olympics Pennsylvania (SOPA) and enthusiastic athletes for an intense week of sports training and witness to Christ.
Through your generous donations, SOYO Special Olympics Sports Camp has grown immensely through the years. This year, we experienced a record number of athletes in attendance, and have accomplished an astounding 38 years of SOYO Special Olympics Camp. Over these 38 years, we have hosted more than 8,800 athletes and coaches, and over 1,200 of our teens have been blessed by working as SOYO Coaches or Volunteers. It is our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve, pray, and play with these Special Olympics Athletes, and we look forward, with your help, to continuing this important ministry.
We Need YOUR HELP!
1. Please publicize Special Olympics Awareness Day. Enclosed you will find two bulletin inserts in various sizes, one for October 14th and the other for October 21st. Please include the bulletin inserts in your parish bulletin, online, and share this cause from the pulpit. Your enthusiastic promotion of this important SOYO ministry will go a long way in producing fruitful results from our faithful.
2. We have found it beneficial to have two teens stand next to each breadbasket at the end of Liturgy, one holding a basket for contributions and the other handing out the enclosed Icon bookmarks, which are given as an expression of gratitude for the donor’s financial contribution.
3. Also included in this mailing is a two page large type message for one of your teens to share with the faithful in Church on October 21st. Please be sure a teen is prepared to read this message in Church on 21 October.
4. Enclosed is a letter from Metropolitan Joseph for you to read from the pulpit and publish in your parish bulletin.
5. Immediately following Special Olympics Awareness Day, your teens or parish treasurer should send their check for the full amount collected to:
Special Olympics Awareness Day
Department of Youth Ministry
PO Box 389
Westwood MA 02090-0389
Please do not send your check to any other address than the one listed above.
Please make the check payable to NAC Teen SOYO and write in the memo: SOAD.
We appreciate your help and participation in this life-changing ministry.
Yours in Christ,
V. Rev. Dr. Joseph F. Purpura
The Icon of St John Chrysostom used in this year’s bookmark is provided by Dormition Skete Buena Vista, Colorado. We thank Dormition Skete for offering up their Icon to help our Teens.